Many people are ashamed when they have hemorrhoids. However, a large part of the Dutch population suffer from this condition. What are hemorrhoids and what can you do about it?
Hemorrhoids are sagging erectile tissue in and around the anus. Everyone has these erectile tissues. They love the anal canal airtight and waterproof.
Occurrence of hemorrhoids
An erectile tissue is a spongy network of blood vessels, covered with a thin layer of mucous membrane. They are located at the end of the rectum, and at the beginning of the sphincter.
Sometimes they become enlarged and they can possibly also come out of the anus. The magnification gives pain, especially during and after going to the toilet. Sometimes they bleed or become inflamed them.
Hemorrhoids can for various reasons arise. Possible causes are lack of exercise, lack of drinking or excessive body weight. However, the main cause is in our diet. Today, our food contains little fiber. Fibers do not digest and retain moisture, which makes the stool soft.
Because these fibers are lacking in the diet, the stools hard and dry. Thus, you have to put squeeze harder and more power during bowel movements. This irritates the erectile tissue, which then swell. As hemorrhoids can occur and sagging.
How do you know you have hemorrhoids?
If you have hemorrhoids, you notice the following symptoms:
The mucous membrane on the hemorrhoid can be fragile. This may add some bright red blood get on the toilet paper when wiping the buttocks.
Some intestinal mucus or loose stool can leak through the sphincter. This causes annoying itching.
- When the hemorrhoids become pinched in the anus, they swell further.They can break and bleed. The sphincter of the anus and the area hit become irritated around it. This gives a burning sensation and itching.
You can do this yourself
- Provide good bowel habits : Ask the last out if you have to go to the bathroom. It dries then still further.
- Press too much while pooping.
- A warm bath ensures that the anus can relax. It can also help a hot sitz bath to combat the symptoms.
- Ointments and suppositories may hide the symptoms. Please note by suppositories. Usually they end up several levels above the hemorrhoids and then they do not work well.
- Coffee, tea, sugar and carbonated drinks stimulate the anus, causing itching may occur. Use this was not too much.
- Get plenty of exercise.
- Wash yourself with cold or lukewarm water without soap and then dry the skin thoroughly.
- His complaints seriously, and keep them coming back, talk to your doctor.Even if you have symptoms and are not sure if it comes to hemorrhoids, it is important that you are going to go to the doctor. The investigation may take place under local anesthesia.
There are some medical possibilities to deal with hemorrhoids :
- Reducing the swelling in their original positions.
- The excess mucous membrane to bind with rubber bands. This makes it dies off within seven to ten days.
- There an irritant liquid can be injected under the mucous membrane.Thereby drying the hemorrhoids and shrink them.
- An operation under anesthetic.
- There are also available ointments and pills that can reduce the symptoms.Please ask your pharmacist, GP or chemist.